Sunday, April 27, 2014

Gregory Crawford On Basketball, April 27th, 2014

By Gregory Crawford--TV, Print and Radio Basketball Analyst  on twitter @wchoops @crawssportsbiz

Donald Sterling---The situation and comments by the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers Donald Sterling about race is sad, disturbing, but not shocking.

We battle race issues everyday in this country, it is a touchy subject, of which most people run and hide from.

I personally within the last month have had two people ask me why I have so many black friends. I also know a top flight manager in a  major company who was recently asked why he hired so many Asian people.

My sports business, that I own with my partner who is Japanese, is also something that is reflected everyday in race relations, because at times I see him get disrespected by people, who I know for sure the reason.

Sports has long been a melting pot for all races. Most of the time all races get along in sports.

The good out of this Sterling episode is the dialogue that will be opened again about race relations. The one problem with that is we have all these people jumping on the bandwagon, who could have cared less about the subject for years, but he it as a chance to gain a little fame right now.

This is going to be a tough call for NBA commissioner Adam Silver. I do not see it as his first critical test. Race relations are a test for many of us all year around. In the long run if this tape is authentic, which it certainly appears to be, there will be punishment for Sterling, severe I would think. But at the same time, I see no way he gives up the Clippers. He has been sticking it to the league and his fans for years, he is not about to change.

And it makes me reflect on the fact, I am fortunate both from my past and present to be involved with a diverse group of people, which has made my life better in the long run.

Would love your comments on the situation in the comment section.

More of Gregory Crawford:

http://crawfordsgolfdaily.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment